History and Mission
A nonprofit, independent membership association, ISACA is a leading global provider of knowledge, certifications, community, advocacy and education on information systems assurance, control and security, enterprise governance of IT, and IT-related risk and compliance. Founded in 1969 as the EDP Auditors Association, ISACA helps its members and their employers ensure trust in, and value from, information systems.
ISACA—formerly the Information Systems Audit and Control Association—has more than 100,000 constituents in more than 180 countries in Asia, Latin America, Europe, Africa, North America and Oceania. Its members include internal and external auditors, CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, educators, information security and control professionals, business managers, students, and IT consultants.
- Developed and administers four industry-leading certifications:
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), a globally respected designation for experienced IS audit, control and security professionals. More than 90,000 have earned the CISA designation since its inception in 1978.
- Certified Information Security Manager (CISM), a groundbreaking designation for leaders who manage an organization’s information security. More than 18,000 have earned the CISM designation since it was established in 2002.
- Certified in the Governance of Enterprise IT (CGEIT), for professionals who manage, provide advisory and/or assurance services, and/or who otherwise support the governance of an enterprise’s IT. More than 4,800 professionals have earned the CGEIT designation since it was established in 2007.
- Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC), for IT professionals who have experience with risk identification, assessment and evaluation; risk response; risk monitoring; IS control design and implementation; and IS control monitoring and maintenance. More than 16,000 professionals have been certified since inception in 2010.
- Sponsors technical and management conferences on five continents each year to ensure professionals have access to the latest global education:
- Developed and continually updates:
- COBIT, now in version 5, is a complete, internationally accepted process framework for IT that supports business and IT executives and management in their definition and achievement of business goals and related IT goals by providing a comprehensive IT governance, management, control and assurance model. Available as a complimentary download at www.isaca.org/cobit, COBIT 5 is used by organizations worldwide.
- Val IT: Based on COBIT, now in version 2.0, is a framework with supporting publications that address assumptions, costs, risks and outcomes related to a balanced portfolio of IT-enabled business investments, including guidance to help global organizations maximize the value of IT investments. Val IT is available as a free download at www.isaca.org/valit.
- Risk IT: Based on COBIT, is a framework that helps enterprises increase their return on investment by managing risks effectively, rather than trying to eliminate them completely. The Risk IT Framework is available as a free download at www.isaca.org/riskit.
- IT Assurance Framework (ITAF) provides guidance on the design, conduct and reporting of IT audit and assurance assignments, and establishes standards that address IT audit and assurance professional roles and responsibilities; a free download at www.isaca.org/itaf.
- Business Model for Information Security (BMIS) provides a view of information security program activities within the context the larger enterprise to integrate the disparate security program components into a holistic system of information protection; a free download at www.isaca.org/bmis.
- Publishes ISACA Journal, a bimonthly magazine with peer-reviewed technical and managerial content on IS audit, control, security and governance.
- Publishes industry-leading research and guidance.
- Provides professional standards, guidelines and tools and techniques for the IS audit and control professions.
- Established its research affiliate, the IT Governance Institute (ITGI), (www.itgi.org) in 1998.
3701 Algonquin Road, Suite 1010, Rolling Meadows, Illinois, 60008 USA
Phone: +1.847.253.1545 Fax: +1.847.253.1443 Web site: www.isaca.org
2012-2013 International President—Greg Grocholski, CISA
Immediate Past President—Ken Vander Wal, CISA, CPA
Chief Executive Officer—Susan M. Caldwell
Kristen Kessinger, +1.847.660.5512
Joanne Duffer, +1.847.660.5564