Apply for Certification
Get CGEIT certified and join an elite group of IT professionals recognized and sought after for their expertise. This is a designation that will get you instant credibility with peers, stakeholders and regulators.
A US$50 application processing fee is required for all
submissions. The application fee is a one-time, non-refundable payment.
Candidates must apply for certification within
5 years of having passed the exam.
Finalize your payment and submit your completed
application to ensure an expedited processing time.
CGEIT Certification Requirements
The ISACA community – members, volunteers and professionals – is guided by our Purpose and Promise, which define the essence of who we are and what we do. Our Purpose is the reason we exist – to help business technology professionals and their enterprises around the world realize the positive potential of technology. Our Promise is how we as an organization and as individuals, deliver on our Purpose – the work we do every day to inspire confidence that enables innovation through technology.
Applicants must meet the following requirements to become CGEIT Certified:
- Successfully Complete the CGEIT Examination: The examination is open to all individuals who have an interest in information systems audit, control and security. All are encouraged to work toward and take the examination. Successful examination candidates will be sent all information required to apply for certification with their notification of a passing score.
For a more detailed description of the exam see CGEIT Certification Job Practice.
- Adhere to the Code of Professional Ethics: Members of ISACA and/or holders of the CGEIT designation agree to a Code of Professional Ethics to guide professional and personal conduct.
- Adhere to the Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Policy: The objectives of the continuing education policy are to:
- Maintain an individual's competency to ensure that all CGEITs maintain an adequate level of current knowledge and proficiency
- Provide a means to differentiate between qualified CGEITs and those who have not met the requirements for continuation of their certification
- Demonstrate the Required Minimum Work Experience: A minimum of 5-years of experience managing, serving in an advisory or oversight role, and/or otherwise supporting the governance of the IT-related contribution to an enterprise is required for certification. Of those 5-years, at least 1-year of experience relating to the definition, establishment and management of a Framework for the Governance of IT is required. This experience is defined specifically by the domains and task statements described in the CGEIT Job Practice.
- The work experience must be gained within the 10-year period preceding the application date for certification. Candidates have 5-years from the passing date to apply for certification. There are no substitutions of experience waivers.
It is important to note that many individuals choose to take the CGEIT exam prior to meeting the experience requirements. This practice is acceptable and encouraged although the CGEIT designation will not be awarded until all requirements are met.